Located about fifteen miles north of the Colorado River on the eastern edge of the blackland prairies, Pflugerville was founded in 1860 when William Bohls established a general store and post office in his residence, and named the town in honor of Henry Pfluger. Pfluger first arrived in the area in 1849, leaving his German homeland to escape the Prussian War. He first purchased 160 acres of land two miles east of Austin from John Liese, a brother-in-law who had immigrated before him. In 1853, Henry Pfluger exchanged the land for a larger farm about five miles east of present day Pflugerville. There, the family lived in a five-room log cabin and raised corn, wheat, rye, beans, sweet potatoes, and sugar cane. They also raised cattle, which Henry and his sons drove to market on the Chisholm Trail.
Two additional buildings and a blacksmith shop were added later, but it was not until the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad arrived in 1904 that the town experienced a period of rapid growth. Otto Pfluger, one of Henry Pfluger’s eight sons, built the first gin in 1904, and a second gin was erected in 1909. The town’s prosperity attracted additional business concerns. Otto Pfluger added an ice factory next to his gin, and in 1913, H.H. Pfluger built the Sky Dome Theater, which showed motion pictures to the accompaniment of a player piano, on Friday and Saturday nights. The theater closed in 1928. A weekly newspaper, The Press, was published in Pflugerville from 1907 to 1942.
Residents established a school in 1872 and a Lutheran church in 1875. By the mid-1890’s, Pflugerville had a population of 250, and within ten years of the arrival of the railroad, the population had doubled to 500 residents. The Depression halted the community’s growth as citizens moved to larger cities to find work. The population continued to decline after World War II, and by 1949, the number of residents in Pflugerville had fallen to 380.
Things To Do
Built to provide the citizens of Pflugerville with drinking water, this
180-acre reservoir has become the city’s most popular family playground.
Located at the intersection of Weiss Lane and Pflugerville Parkway, the lake is open for fishing, swimming, jogging, canoes, kayaks and wind surfing.
Lake Pflugerville Park includes a 3-mile walking/jogging trail, playground, boat launch, pavilion and beach area. Come out and enjoy the outdoors in our backyard! (No power boats or glass bottles, please.)
Those ages 16 and younger do not have to have a fishing permit, per Texas Park & Wildlife rules.
Happenings at Lake Pflugerville:
It’s also a hot spot for wind surfers and kite surfers. Come out and enjoy the trail for a 5K jog!